Sunday 16 March 2014

Have miracles ceased ? . . . Nay!

I was reminded last night of a very spiritual experience in my life that I just assumed my daughters all knew about but then realized that Paige was only 4 years old and Abby wasn't even born yet.  Without going into a lot of detail (you can read in my journal if you want the whole play by play) I claim Elder Jeffry R. Holland as 'my Apostle'.  Twelve years ago we lived in Claresholm and were a part of the Fort Macleod Stake.  We got the news that Elder Holland would be attending our Stake Conference and we were so excited.  Then about 2 weeks before his visit, I got a call from President Whitehead asking me speak at the Sunday morning session of Stake Conference, Elder Holland had requested that a sister speak.  He asked me to speak on the Temple and to direct it to the children and youth and it was to be exactly 10 minutes long (not 1 minute longer or shorter).  Needless to say, I had divine help and felt so guided in every word I wrote.  As the weekend approached though I started to get very sick, a bad cough settled in and I could hardly speak, you could say I was kind of stressing out at this point.  So I prayed very hard before we left for the adult Saturday night session that I would feel peace and reassurance that I could do was I was asked to do.
We sat very close to the front in the chapel and after the closing prayer, President Whitehead motioned for me to come up to the pulpit.  He put his arms around me and introduced me to Elder Holland and then told me that Elder Holland had picked me out of the crowd during that meeting to be one the people to spontaneously come up and bear their testimony - he had said "We need to hear from that sister".  Pres. Whitehead then told him that I was the one that had been asked to speak the next morning in conference, so thankfully that was good enough for him.  There was my answer to my prayers, that was my reassurance that Heavenly Father knows me and would help me deliver my talk.  The meeting was fantastic and Elder Holland left an apostolic blessing on our stake and the people and the whole area - we were experiencing a severe drought at that time and he promised that the moisture would come.  And it came - two days later we had a snow day! 
There were many miracles associated with that Stake Conference - one of which was my testimony being secured in the sure knowledge that Elder Holland is an Apostle of Jesus Christ and that a loving Heavenly Father knows each of us personally and the experiences in our lives that will help us to grow and change!
That was almost 12 years ago - now fast forward to yesterday - Elder Holland came to speak to the youth in Lethbridge with Elder Walker who was also at the Fort Macleod Stake Conference. Paige had a basketball game in Medicine Hat and we weren't sure how the games would go and if the timely would work to get to see and hear him. Here was 'my Apostle' so near again and I wanted so badly for Paige to be there and hear him. I made her miss the boys final basketball game and we were a bit late but we drove right up and walked right in and were able to hear Elder Walker and Elder Holland! And guess what they both mentioned in their talks, the miracles from the Fort Macleod Stake Conference. I have never forgotten that experience and neither had they. The talks were fantastic and so inspiring and I am so grateful I got Paige there because I know that meeting with an apostle and feeling and hearing his council and love can be a testimony changing experience and worth every effort!

No comments:

Post a Comment